Double click to edit
Return to main page
Boasting over a 135-year history, St. Andrew’s was established as Cullman’s fourth church in 1879 and was called the German-English Methodist Episcopal Church. In those early days worship services were conducted in English on the first and third Sundays of each month and in German on the second and fourth Sundays. The church was reorganized in 1884 as West Cullman Methodist Episcopal Church and a small frame church was erected on the corner of Seventh Street and Main Avenue. A bell was hung in the steeple five years later. The cornerstone of that building is incorporated in the present sanctuary’s cornerstone.

During the 1930’s, the church’s doors were closed due to lack of support and plans were being made to sell the property. Following a fruitful revival in an old store building in West Town, Mrs. W. L. Ward and Mrs. Lexter Burns requested that the bishop not allow the church to be sold. He told them that as long as there were worship services being conducted, the church would not be sold. Twenty-eight people attended the resumption of worship service in September 1937. Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Burns attended the Methodist Conference to report the church’s progress. Pleased with the report, the bishop appointed Rev. Q. V. Amberson to preach once a month.

"There was nothing in the church except a pulpit and altar, but these are the most important things in any church," Mrs. Ward recalled many years later. With the assistance of the community the church was refurbished. Pews were donated from a disbanded Nazarene church and Buettner Brothers Lumber Company donated lumber for pews in the classrooms. Mrs. Burns, teacher of the adult Sunday School class, and Mrs. Ward, church organist and teacher of the young people’s class, spent much time in visitation to personally invite people to church.

The small congregation continued to flourish and in 1954 the small frame building was torn down to make room for growth. A new education building was constructed at the back of the old church. Construction of a new sanctuary was begun with the first service conducted on December 27, 1959, by Rev. Amberson, the pastor from twenty years earlier.

On June 20, 1971, the name of the church was changed to St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church. Membership growth in the 1980’s brought about the building of a modern education building, finished in 1992, with a fellowship hall, classrooms, and a choir room. This allowed the old fellowship hall to be remodeled into a classroom and new office space.

In 1995 a new, taller steeple was erected on the sanctuary with the bell from more than 100 years before. A beautiful chapel was completed in 1998.

Today St. Andrew’s draws members from all over Cullman County. Its friendly, relaxed atmosphere offers a warm welcome to all people. St. Andrew’s continues to look for new ways to grow into its third century of ministry.

Pastors who have served St. Andrew's United Methodist Church include:

1889 - Peter Groover
1931 - T. M. Bailey
1935 - W. W. Stephenson
1936 - M. L. Newcomb
1937 - Q. V. Amberson
1940 - M. L. Newcomb
1942 - S. A. Owen
1944 - Marvin Manderson
1950 - Thomas Giles and John S. Smith
1951 - Sammy Stabler
1956 - I. H. Estes
1957 - J. L. R. Barnes
1958 - Q. V. Amberson
1960 - W. Neil Dark
1962 - J. Elton Lowery
1965 - Delbert H. Miles
1968 - Marcus O. Long
1980 - J. Hubert Robison
1984 - W. L. Cole
1987 - Zeke Haselden
1989 - R. Larry Harbin
1995 - M. Mac Buttram
2003 - Charles Canterbury, Jr.
2008 - Eric Brown
2010 - Jonathan Todd
2016  - Chuck Worley
2020 -  Robert Lancaster
History of St Andrews
St Andrews United Methodist Church
615 Main Avenue SW
Cullman, Alabama 35055
Phone: [256]734-0340